Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pain Med Free Childbirth Tips

I know several women who want to have a natural/pain med free childbirth in the near future. I wanted to compile a list of tips of achieving natural childbirth - how to relieve pain naturally to cope with labor. This list is in no way exhaustive - just things that I have used or tips that I have come across in my readings or conversations on natural childbirth. If anyone reads this and has more to add - please do so in the comments!

1. Chiropractic - Getting adjusted regularly throughout pregnancy, or at the very least shortly before going into labor, can help the baby be in optimal position for labor and delivery - therefore causing less pain. It also has the ability to shorten labor as well.

       Along the same lines as chiropractic but something you can do on your own - Make sure you spend as much time, particularly in the third trimester, in positions that promote Optimal fetal positioning (head down facing your tailbone). The better the position your baby is in the less painful labor and quicker delivery you will have. Hands and knees is one of the best positions to hang out in, five minutes at a time a few times per day. Beyond that, make sure you are leaning forward, not reclined whenever you are sitting. I know it's more comfortable to recline - but trust me it's worth it to lean forward whenever you can. You can also drape yourself over a yoga ball. Reclining on the couch is the worst - don't do it (avoid it as much as possible)!


2. Yoga balls - Great for taking some pressure off in labor. I personally didn't use one much in either labor - but I know many women who have and it has helped greatly.

3. Water - Waterbirth is great for many reasons, but it's not for everyone. However, if you are able to labor in the bath or shower do it! It's called the "natural epidural" for a reason! The water is soooo soothing. If you are in the bath you can also have someone pour water over your belly - my midwives did in both labors and it was really comforting.

4. Touch/massage/effluerage - If touch is your thing, you may want to experiment with different types of touch and massage before labor with your labor partner to see what you find soothing. I enjoyed touch during labor.

5. Counter-pressure on hips/back - I didn't have true back labor with either baby, but nonetheless, counter pressure on my back/hips was amazing during labor. This was probably one of my number one helps during labor besides water. The best I found was if my labor support (usually hubby, but my midwives did some too) would put either their fists or the heels of there hands firmly on each side of my spine, sort of right above the butt cheeks. I had to work with hubby through a few contractions telling him (as much as I could mutter!) where to place his hands and how. Once we got it down I would say it took the pain from about a 9 to a 5/6. Seriously - it helped that much! When he couldn't press hard enough I would hold on to something and push my hips back into his hands (so we would be pushing against each other).  Each contraction I could tell him it was coming and he would place his hands on my hips through the peak of each contraction.

6. Vocalizing - This sounds really weird, but it really does help in so many ways. First of all, the more open you can keep your throat, the more relaxed your bottom can be which allows the contractions to do their work of opening your cervix. If you are tense and tightened up, your contractions will not be as effective. But besides helping with the effectiveness of the contractions, vocalizing can also help with the pain of labor. This is how I got through almost my whole second labor. Early on, before I woke up my husband, I sat in a rocking chair or walked around and said "oooooooooooh" through each contraction. Now you have to make sounds that will open your throat and not tighten it so Ooooooh and Ahhhhhh are good as well as lower tones (not high, not Eeeeeee). I didn't use them as much but also Mooooooo'ing and horse lips (blowing air and letting your lips flap) are also good.

7. Singing - Along the same lines as vocalizing, but I loved it so much with my second labor that I think it deserves its own subcategory. I sang through almost all of transition. If you could have had a window into my room at this time you would have never known I was in labor. I chose a CD that I was very familiar with, I knew all of the words, and I really enjoyed and relaxed me. I sang each song and went through contractions without stopping singing or hitting any wrong notes. It was a GREAT distraction for me and was so soothing. If we are blessed with another I will sing through as much as my labor as possible (as this last one I only started singing at around 8cm... almost the end of labor).

8. Eating/drinking - I know in a lot of hospitals this is not allowed, but if you can, eat and drink through your labor. If you get too tired because you have no energy since you haven't eaten, it will be harder to finish out your labor and push. Even if it's just a couple of crackers or whatever. Try to eat something if you can (and sneak a protein bar or something into your hospital room). Also stay hydrated.

9. Positions - Try as many positions as possible. When one stops working, try another. I liked hands and knees a lot, as well as draped over the tub, and just standing leaning against the wall with my head hanging down a little. You can try squatting, laying down on your side, hanging over a yoga ball, sitting on a yoga ball. Keep changing positions to get more comfortable (this also helps baby to maneuver his way into your pelvis). I found walking pretty therapeutic, I thought I was going to die when I laid down. But everyone is different!

10. Hire a Doula - Doula's can be licensed in anything from aromatherapy to acupuncture to massage among other things. They are truly experts in labor and labor support. Make sure you find one that meshes with your personality and your beliefs - ask lots of questions in your interviews and meetings.

11. Hypnobirthing - This is a great one! I used it more during my first labor than my second. It takes some practice and I didn't practice much before my second labor. You can buy the book, Hypnobirthing, or the whole Hypnobabies home kit (which I have heard is really much better than the Hypnobirthing book). You can also take Hypnobirthing classes. Google to see what's in your area. Basically the premise is you learn to put yourself into a deep deep deep relaxation. Some women have had completely painless births because of Hypnobirthing. When I used it I fell asleep in between contractions. It was awesome. It can also shorten your labor since you are so relaxed, it allows your body to do what it needs to do - open up and let the baby out!

12. Bradley Method - I have heard of this but I know nothing about it. So I'm not going to pretend I do! Some women love it. Look it up if you are interested. You can also take classes teaching this method as well.

The more you come prepared with and for, the more likely you are to achieve your goal of having a pain med free birth! Make sure you have lists of things to try and have discussed them with your labor team so they can help support you when you need it and may not be able to think of things yourself.

Ok... I think I've come up with everything I can think of right now. I am sure I've left things out though, so mama's if you know of more, please post in the comments!

(PS - Usually I edit and re edit my posts - with two kids I just don't have the time, so forgive me for any mistakes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment